January 10, 2024
Dear Internet Academy Family,
I am very excited to welcome you to Internet Academy! As an online school, your scholar will experience instruction both synchronously (in real time with a teacher) and asynchronously (on their own time). Our goal is to engage your scholar in exciting & rigorous learning, while remaining flexible to accommodate your schedule.
Onboarding information can all be easily accessed here: Onboarding Sway
Here are key things to know about Internet Academy:
- Advisory/Homeroom is Monday and Friday at 9:00 AM on Zoom. This teacher or advisor is your main point of contact for all of your questions. We want to get to know your scholar – please ensure they attend Homeroom/Advisory.
- Study daily in Canvas courses. Most instruction at Internet Academy is asynchronous, and on Canvas. Your scholar will have one Canvas tile per course. Scholars are expected to study for a total of 27.75 hours per week. This is equal to 5-6 hours per day. A Learning Coach (such as a parent or auntie) can help a scholar make a weekly schedule.
- Parents have a Canvas Observer account and can view a scholar’s time spent in each course AND their grades in Canvas Gradebook.
- Participation Matters! We want every scholar in zoom class to increase learning & collaboration with peers.
- K-5th Grade: Daily synchronous instruction on Zoom from 9:00 – 10:30 AM.
- 6th-12th Grade: Synchronous instruction on Zoom once a week per course. That is 5-6 Zoom classes per week, depending on your scholar’s classes.
- Official attendance is taken weekly through the Weekly Academic Contact (WAC) “quiz.” Taking this quiz every week is required. It is also a way for us to share school information. The WAC quiz confirms there has been academic contact made between scholar and teacher/advisor to avoid being marked absent for the week.
- Every month, you will receive a progress update called Monthly Progress Review (MPR). Your scholar will be marked SATISFACTORY or UNSATISFACTORY. If they are not making satisfactory progress, we will contact you to make an intervention plan. Scholars with 3 months of unsatisfactory progress may be withdrawn from Internet Academy.
- You can monitor scholar progress through the ALE app.
- Live support with the teacher is once a week and upon request. Teachers post their Zoom link in Canvas.
- Scholars use Launchpad for Learning to access all school programs (https://launchpad.classlink.com/fwps)
- We have Tech Support. Email Laura Anderson at email@example.com or call (253) 945-5842. Technology Help Desk - Get Help
- Sign up for ParentSquare to get timely text messages about IA events and due dates.
To build a partnership with you, your scholar’s teacher/advisor will be calling you on the phone to introduce themselves and start getting to know you and your scholar. Lastly, I want to extend a personal invitation to you to join Parent Advisory to the Principal. I meet with this group once a month. The purpose is to get to know you and hear your input on how to make Internet Academy even better. Enclosed is the school schedule and information about software tools that you will need. Here’s to a great year of engaging learning experiences and growth!